I really Love the color turquoise. I have an end table that I plan to paint turquoise, I use it a lot when I paint on canvas, & I've been wearing the color alot lately too. I love the color so much that I decided I wanted to paint it on my wall. This was my first time ever painting but what I envisioned didn't really pan out the way I was hoping. Fortunately I've learned 3 key things about painting your interior. Unfortunately, I had to learn from my mistakes. Word to the wise...
ONE: Just because you like a color swatch, doesn't mean you should put it on your wall.
TWO: It's better to paint a small section of the wall rather than painting the entire thing to realize after that the color is horribly wrong.
THREE: Make sure you pick a color that either complements or contrasts well with the surroundings, ie. cabinets, counter tops, & surrounding wall color. A no-brainer for most people, I'm sure!!!
My neighbor had painted this exact wall in her house a beautiful color which gave me the inspiration to do mine. I headed to the paint store without taking in mind the warm color scheme I already had going on in my kitchen. I chose the color "Green Dream" which ended up being my nightmare!
Eager to get it right, I went back to the paint store, this time with a sample of the tan color thats on my other walls. I ended up with this color:
Tyler was so patient with the whole process & never criticized it once. He kept saying, "this is your thing". I put my kitchen back together after I painted it the 2nd time b/c I was hoping that when I woke up the next morning the color would magically look better to me. But it was just SO awful! I think it would look great on a piece of furniture or as decor pieces here and there, just not on my wall. I had to fix it! ...3rd times a charm right? I went to Home Depot with a piece of fabric to have it color matched. This time I bought a color sample & painted only a portion of the wall... But it was gross. Finally, I threw in the towel & painted it back to the original color, minus the tiny strip above the sink that still needs to be primed & painted...
Booo! Choosing paint colors for your house is not an easy task! I'm going to seek help the next time I decide to paint. I'm thinking about painting the wall surrounding my nook? Green, Coral, Orange??? Hmm, we shall see...




4 comments:
Painting is frustrating anyway:) Good luck with figuring out a color for your nook. I think that green sounds good;) I can see why you like turquoise- you look awesome in it!
Love the post! Even being an "interior designer" choosing a paint color is scary!
oh my gosh!!! what a pain! I'm sorry you had to go through that. keep looking around and use those samples. they are awesome and cheap. I bought almost 20 when painting this house! I ended up using 7 of those. My point... in the store the color seems so perfect and its not once it gets on your wall.
Oooo...painting is so hard. I love the restoration hardware line. My fav fav fav is silver sage. It's in my living room and kitchen and turns out a lit more blue than green but every person on the planet who has ever seen it or used it has loved it! Good luck!
Post a Comment