"Successful marriages & families are established & maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness,
respect, love, compassion, work, & wholesome recreational activities."


-The Family A Proclamation to the World


Sunday, January 9, 2011

New Year Resolutions

Every year I come up with a resolution or two and by about 2-4 months into the year I forget all about them! I haven't ever taken new year resolutions seriously. It's hard to accomplish something if I'm not excited about it. Well, I am very excited about my 2011 new year resolutions & I have a sincere desire & eagerness to start them right away:

1. Create lasting memories as a family

2. Simplify.

3. Daily spiritual upliftment

Resolution #1: I'm most excited about this one which is why it's #1. My kids are growing up & Preston is at a place in his life where memories are now starting to sink in. I want my children to have fond memorable experiences that they will look back on & cherish. I believe these moments develop rich character & strong self-asteem. Our family new year resolution is to celebrate life! To do this, we are going to celebrate & "make a fuss" over every special occasion & holiday. I love how my cousin Heather  does this with her family & she has truly inspired me. I love following her blog to see what her family is going to do next! Another blog that has completely inspired my creativity is the Tip Junkie. Go to this blog! It is FULL of wonderful ideas for parties, crafts, DIY projects, etc... you will love it.

Resolution #2: This resolution began last week when Tyler & I stayed up until 12am almost every night last week organizing & decluttering our home. We are also very excited about finishing our basement, which progress has resumed & we anticipate everything being done by March! Adding this space to our home will help to simplify the messes made by our children in their bedrooms & our family room. But to further simplify our lives we have resolved to living below our means, not feeling like we have to have the newest, latest gizmos & gadgets, & focusing more on the essentials. When I think of doing this I think of President Hinckley's famous line, "Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Or do without".

Resolution #3: My kids are my first priority in life. They are also my alarm clock. So when they wake up, I rush to their needs first thing every morning. By nightime, I rationalize why I didn't have time to read my scriptures that day or say meaningful prayers. I get discouraged when I don't accomplish this b/c I have good intentions to do it, but I allowed other priorities to take it's place. My goal for the new year is to read my scriptures every morning as I eat my breakfast. The breakfast time is important b/c it's the time that I'm sitting still & usually by myself for that moment. Plus I think it's a fantastic way to start each day b/c breakfast is the most important meal of the day & reading the scriptures is also essential so they go hand-in-hand, really. 

This is going to be a wonderful year full of new family traditions & individual growth. I'm excited for 2011 & I welcome it with big open arms!

1 comments:

Ben, Ashley, and Nate said...

I feel the same way about #3 especially. I notice such a difference in my day, especially in helping Nate. Good resolution to have, and one I think I might share. Hope you're doing great!